There’s nothing like music to transport you, instantly, to a far-away culture, to connect you within a social environment, or to calm or energize you. In this episode of HealthMade Radio, Dr. Michael Karfleldt and Professor Michael Spitzer explore the vibrant relationship between music and the human species.
With insights from a wealth of disciplines, world-leading musicologist Michael Spitzer renders a global music history on the broadest possible canvas, looking at music in our everyday lives, music in world history, and music in evolution, from insects to apes, humans to AI. Through this journey, we begin to understand how music is central to the distinctly human experiences of cognition, feeling, and even biology, both widening and closing the evolutionary gaps between ourselves and animals in surprising ways.
In this episode, listen to the discussion on:
- The long historical view of the evolutionary story as told through sound.
- Professor Spitzer makes the bold case that music drove human evolution: that music was the most important thing we ever did.
- The impact music has on our neural development, emotions, health, and the evolution of society.
- What determines the type of music a child will learn to like.
- What music is best for a fetus/child’s brain and emotional wellbeing (hint: it is not Mozart).
- How the language of music allows for the sharing of emotion within social relationships.
About Professor Spitzer
Michael Spitzer is a Professor of Music at the University of Liverpool.
He was born in Nigeria of Hungarian parents, brought up in Israel, and emigrated to the UK during the Yom Kippur war in 1973. He was educated at Merton College, Oxford, and Southampton and taught for twenty years at Durham University. An accomplished pianist, Spitzer is a world-leading authority on Beethoven who also writes widely on the philosophy and psychology of music. He lives just off Penny Lane with his wife and two daughters.
Connect with Professor Spitzer
Read his book: The Musical Human
About HealthMade Radio
In an avid pursuit of worldly knowledge, Dr. Michael Karlfeldt conducts weekly interviews on HealthMade Radio with global integrative health experts, scientists, philanthropists, and entrepreneurs. These interviews are shared on our page to promote a community of health and education.
Health is what you make it!